Thursday, February 17, 2011

All Washered Up. I Must Be Nuts.

In getting ready to get some metalwork to the copper plater I ran into a snag that has been bothering me for some time.  I hate washers that are substantially bigger than the head of the nut they are designed for.  Below is a typical 1/4" washer and a 1/4-20 cap nut.





To get around the issue I simply went to a 6mm washer which has a much better fit.





Alas the 1/2-13 cap screw looks even worse with its mating washer.  It is the lathe to the rescue helping be convert a washer with a more appropriate OD for a better "fit"


  




 It still didn't feel right to me so I opted to try a button headed screw and ended up with the same mismatch


The reworked undersized washer was next and has the best feel for me thus far so I made up 10



All of this reminds me of the fun I used to make of Sean for having to turn down all kinds of screws to meet Franks aesthetic for the Artemis Labs TA-1  The more I think of it, the more I actually feel I may be nuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive