Monday, June 6, 2011

Munich High End - show impressions...

.
ok.. I have to be honest. This is rather awkward for me. I am not a reviewer. I am a manufacturer. However, I am always asked for show reports. It would be very easy to read this as my attempt at shooting down my competition. But, as you guys probably know, that is not really my style. I am always looking for potential. That is my gig. The eternal quest for something that communicates music. Besides, my demand is far exceeding my ability to supply as it stands today. The last thing I need now is to pick up all of their orders...

so, with all of that having been said, take it however you want.. this is my best pick from a an hour or two of wandering each day.. I am 99% sure I heard all the horns that were there.. if it is not mentioned below, there was something, or a lot of things, that really got to me.. as always, your ears may vary...

+++++++++++++++

first, the best all around sound at the show... and super nice guys.. was Musique-Concrete....



this blurry picture is perfect... you can't tell which handsome scruffy guy is which... (big laugh).... anyway, their sound was good.. good all around.. maybe the highs could have been a touch sweeter, less electronic, but it was good... not as dynamic as the big WE system, but balanced, integrated, easy to listen to.. made music.. good work, Marco!

(that picture kinda freaks lisa out.. paint the speaker black and it is also eerily similar to what is in our den... and Marco and I just met when this picture was taken!)

+++++++++++++++++++++


Auto Tech had some Le Cleac'h horns there.. fiberglass... but well built.. the seam has been minimized.. but the rear has that black damping spray that Lisa won't allow in the house.. however, for a DIY'er on a budget, they were noticeably less plastic sounding than Avant Garde...


++++++++++++++++++++++

on a general horn note, many systems, as always, were very restrained.. not sure why.. what is the trend of making horns sound polite? sad for a dynamics and scale guy like me.. I like *life* in my music.. if you can read the paper while listening to Sonny Stitt, you goofed...

and then there was *dry*.. horns that had no flesh.. I guess a little bit of Beryllium can be nice, but a whole stack of it is way too much....

as you can see, not much to write home about in regards to sonic marvels.. I guess even a well done show in Munchen is still just a hifi show.. the good news is that there was lots of vinyl...lots of turntables... woo hoo!!

my next post will have more good stuff... fun people and a lot of thoughts on Silbatone and the WE16...


Oh, one really cool item that I forgot to mention:



this sweet little 7", in combination with an Iphone (or others) app named platter speed is just what I need for my 50Hz strobed Garrard 301... yippee! oh, platterspeed is a free app... so if you already have a test record that you know is accurate....




ok.. back to work...

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive