Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Listening to the Yamaha JA6681B compression drivers...



ok... so I listened to these briefly a while back... but with dave posting pretty pictures and vry yapping about the leaf spring suspension, I knew that I had to get them back out...


what you see is my shop "quick and dirty" listening rig... I listened only in mono... which is better when you are moving around working anyway... Le Cleac'h 340 fiberglass horn... and I bi-amped... the 71A summer amp on top and bottom... source was a mac mini/external hard drives and digital from a Hi-Face to a Behringer 24/96 with the output taken straight from the DAC chip... this sounds pretty good... and allows for a very fast changing of crossover.... and EQ or delay if needed...



I hear why people like this driver... it really does nothing wrong... it does have a bit of what I call the "ceramic magnet sound".... and I think it would benefit from a stronger motor... for it to compete with the very best of the very best it needs a little color, resolution, and jump... but that is comparing it to the best in the game... not really fair....



the funny thing is that I first hooked up driver A... and the mids were ok, but the treble sounded sorta rolled off, but also sorta broken... then I get an email from New Mexico saying, "hey man.  I found that other phase plug in my tool chest."... so I opened the driver... yep.. no phase plug... too funny... so the above was written about driver B - *with* phase plug....

Peace,
Me

3 comments:

  1. These were the drivers I lived with before the RCA field coils, and I've always had a soft spot for them - thanks for the review!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use these drivers in both of my systems - audio and theater, simply outstanding, I like them better than any JBL or Altec, and neck in neck with TAD. Never heard the RCA field coils which are very rare and the most expensive things I've ever seen.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone ever heard the the 6681b in a TN4001 horn-with or without the vanes? If yes, say vanes/no vanes. And please describe sound stage size, tonality, directivity. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive